rule-list

[Rule-list] Suggestions for having a small install.

From: Eugene Wong
Subject: [Rule-list] Suggestions for having a small install.
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:24:17 -0700

Hi all.

Ultimately, it will be hard for RULE to have a small default install, because everybody has different needs and definitions of "small".

I'd like to suggest the following:

1.) We make a script that has lots of comments in it, that will go throughout the hard drive and delete unwanted files, and strip debugging code. We can make it really generic, and have many commented out options. On my Gentoo system, I managed to free up approx. 100MB because of language files that I didn't need, and debugging code. It would be good to get some help on deleting any l10n and i18n files that I don't need. We could encourage people to save these scripts on a floppy or somewhere on the Internet, so that they could do this for every install and upgrade. The good thing is that this script will probably only need to be customized once.

2.) Another idea is to make Slinky just a program that parses KickStart files; no prompting; no interaction. We could give out sample KickStart files and encourage them to customize the samples. As it is, RH already has samples and already has documentation. We only need an install program that will use these scripts. If we made Slinky do this, then we should probably try and make it work with ftp and other installation methods [according to RH6.0, we could only use CDROM & NFS].

Thoughts?

Sincerely, and with thanks,
Eugene T.S. Wong

Surf the Web without missing calls! Get MSN Broadband. http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/freeactivation.asp