[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [gnu.org #232165] Directory indexes at www

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [gnu.org #232165] Directory indexes at www.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 00:44:15 +0200

Hi,

Could you tell me what is the issue with directory indexes?

The sysadmins were actually in Cc of this request from the
beginning. After one month, I told them to activate directory indexes
anyway since the www.gnu.org webmasters apparently didn't care at that
time (address@hidden was in Cc as well -
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2005-05/msg00004.html).

Unfortunately address@hidden is often not reliable and didn't do
anything.

I think directory indexes should be simply enabled.  Our main concern
is people who submit support requests asking why their space is 403
forbidden.
eg: https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?func=detailitem&item_id=104022
An empty directory listing would be more appropriate. This
applies to all projects from nongnu.org, the ones under software/ and
also the place where translation teams webpages will be stored one
this issue will be cleared as well. This hence also applies to
projects not yet existing.

Unless you have good reasons to forbid directory indexes, I think it
would require less work to simply activate them sitewide.

What do you think?

If you need to discuss this, please add savannah-hackers-public or
savannah-hackers-private so we can participate in the conversation :)

Thanks for the reply!