Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] News: Licenses clarification

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] News: Licenses clarification
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 19:45:46 +0100

> Greetings,
>
> I am the project manager for ArX [1].  I read the news about licenses
> clarification, and I have two comments/questions.
>
>   1) My code has always been under GPL v2 only.  This was noted when I
>      applied to savannah [2].  Is this going to be a problem?

Yes, if you die before GNU GPL v3 is released.
However this requirement applies to new projects only.

>   2) My project includes a 56 page manual under GPL v2 only.  The only
>      license I will use for documentation is the same as for the code.
>      Since even RMS does not think that the GFDL is a free software
>      license [3], that rules out the GFDL.

This is a borderline case since the source for the manual is not
hosted at Savannah, but the manual is still available at
www.nongnu.org.

Is there a precise reason why the manual's license is bound to ArX's?