address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] News: Licenses clarificati

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] News: Licenses clarification]
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 22:33:46 +0100

Hello,

Follow the requirement to use (at least) the GFDL for Savannah-hosted
manuals, we have a question about the use of such manual in an
integrated help system.

In this forwarded message I argue that if, at runtime, a GNU GPL'd
application open the file containing the GFDL'd documentation and
display the relevant contextual bits to the user, then there is no
copyright issue. Likewise I think a GNU GPL'd application can display
any (free) picture during its execution without licensing issue.

Walter, on the contrary, argues that this is a combination of 2 works
under incompatible licenses, and hence there is a copyright
infrigement. Similar to object-code linking.

May we have your point?

Thanks,

----- Forwarded message from Walter Landry <address@hidden> -----