[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Overwriting bare repositories' master

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: Overwriting bare repositories' master
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:28:55 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 06:55:34PM +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Sylvain Beucler escreveu:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm trying to setup a git hosting facility, such as repo.or.cz. The
> >facility provides a pre-initialized git repository only accessible
> >through git-shell.
>
> > repo_one$ git push
> address@hidden:/srv/git/sources/administration.git \
> >   master:refs/heads/master
>

> Does this mean that we will get GIT support on savannah? Cool!
>
> We're experimenting with GIT for GNU LilyPond, so it would be really
> nice to have distributed VC with minimum fuss.

Cool. Do you want to create a repository for lilypond now? I can
create one; it is temporarily at http://cvs.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/ .
Beware, that's a ZETA service ;)

> If you introduce GIT on savannah, it might be a nice idea to import all
> of the 'live' CVS repositories automatically into a branch of a
> per-project/per-module GIT repository. Importing a sizable CVS repo
> actually takes quite a lot of time, so having the imports done already
> makes it a lot easier to experiment for people.

That sounds good. It will probably takes days, because there're lots
of repos, and SV is already a loaded machine, but automatic conversion
sounds very good.

It may be difficult to keep a GIT repository in sync with CVS until
people actually start using it. Did you already try a repository
conversion? Can this be done?