Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: git repository out of order?

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: git repository out of order?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:06:28 +0100

...[Bruno couldn't clone coreutils.git]
I wrote:
> Yep, something happened on savannah that made git stop working for
> everyone.  I followed that mailing list thread, and instrumented my local
> copy of git.  Then, cloning shows the problem:
>
>     $ git-clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/coreutils
>     Initialized empty Git repository in /t/.j/coreutils/.git/
>     error: protocol error: bad line length character
>     <<<<<
>     env: git-daemon: No such file or directory
>
>     >>>>>
>     fatal: protocol error: bad line length character
>     fetch-pack from 'git://git.sv.gnu.org/coreutils' failed.
>     [Exit 1]
>
> Something (git-shell?) is using env to invoke git-daemon,
> but git-daemon is not in PATH.
>
> I'll look into it in the morning.

I've fixed it.
Somehow /etc/xinet.d/git had this:

        passenv         = PATH
        server          = /usr/bin/env
        server_args     = git-daemon --inetd --export-all --base-path=/srv/git
/srv/git

while PATH apparently does not include /usr/local/bin.
I changed it to this:

        passenv         = PATH
        server          = /usr/local/bin/git-daemon
        server_args     = --inetd --export-all --base-path=/srv/git /srv/git

and restarted xinetd.