[Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #336374] Spam on a fresh mailing list

From: Justin Baugh via RT
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 16:15:18 -0400

> [beuc - Mon Jun 04 09:09:50 2007]:
>
> Hi,
>
> This mailing list was created on 2 June, it already receives spam.
>
> Do you think it is because it's mentioned in the mailman list of
> lists?

This phenomenon isn't surprising to me. Is it really surprising to you? :O

There's a number of places list names can be harvested from; lists still has
mbox archives; there's also the archive index itself, and the list of lists.

Hopefully arbiter will make these issues less frequent, since a lot of spam
should be caught in the quarantine.

-Justin

--
Justin Baugh (baughj at gnu dot org)