Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] cvs fatal signal in texinfo

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] cvs fatal signal in texinfo
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:59:57 +0200

On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 07:49:52PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
> I ran an apparently innocuous commit in texinfo (user karl) and got a
> fatal signal (this was at Sun Jun 17 17:21:28 2007 PDT):
>
> $ cvs com -m"implement default_country_for_lang with
> locales_with_principal_territory list from gettext's msginit.c" ChangeLog
> makeinfo/lang.c
> /sources/texinfo/texinfo/ChangeLog,v  <--  ChangeLog
> Terminated with fatal signal 9
>
> Now any attempt to do anything with texinfo gets the dreaded "waiting
> for lock" message:
> $ cvs update
> cvs commit: [00:38:42] waiting for karl's lock in /sources/texinfo/texinfo

After I installed ViewVC, I setup a different URL for it (viewcvs
redirects to viewvc). But I didn't update robots.txt. As a result
several search engines spiders harvested the site at the same
time. ViewVC or one of the programs it calls don't like some RCS files
and eat several hundreds megabytes of memory. When there's no more
memory available processes get killed. Or they stay in memory for a
long time, not releasing the read locks.

I changed robots.txt yesterday but we had to wait until search engine
refreshed it. It should be OK now.

> I gather cvs.sv.gnu.org is a different machine than sv.gnu.org.  I tried
> to ssh as a variety of users (address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden)
> but
> couldn't get in.

You should be able to log in to address@hidden (I also setup a memory limit
to cvs.sv so it doesn't crash the rest of the machine). You need to
learn a bit more about Savannah: we use VServer and several virtual
servers exists, depending on the access policy (no access, sftp
access, access through 'cvs' only, etc.). The wiki and
infra/vservers.txt are your friends :)

root access is disabled in the VServers, you need to go through
sv.gnu.org, the host machine, and enter the VServer from there.