Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] new mailing list blurb

From: Bob Proulx
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 21:34:45 -0700

Karl Berry wrote:
> http://tug.org/~karl/alc.html is my expanded text to be shown in the
> list creation page.  More comments?

>> By default, Mailman sends request for  notification on every message,
>> and this is critical for listhelper's operation. You will probably
>> want to filter these from your inbox, with a pattern such as this:
>> ^Subject: confirm [a-f0-9]{40}

That pattern occurs in the body of the message.  Specifically in a
mime attachment in the body of the message.  But I would guess that
upon reading it most people would assume that was the subject of the
message.  The Subject: is a red herring.  It probably should have a
note saying that it is a body rule and not a header rule.

But many message handling programs are more efficient at scanning just
the message headers.  The following may be a better subject match
because it scans the header.  I use:

  ^Subject: [-a-zA-Z0-9]+ post from

But this next is perhaps a little tighter and less prone to false hits.

  ^Subject: [^[:space:]]* post from [^[:space:]]* requires approval

Unfortunately I think that message is one that gets localized
depending upon language settings.  I also have this in one of my
rules.

  ^Subject: El envio a [-a-zA-Z0-9]+ de.*precisa.*de.*aprobacion

Bob