Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] new mailing list blurb

From: Sylvain Beucler
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 11:14:40 +0100

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 09:23:31PM -0700, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> > Another thing we may want to mention is that list maintainers
> > (including address@hidden) get one Mailman "request for approval"
> > per incoming mail - something that users would usually rather get in
> > daily batches.
>
> That statement confuses me.  To me it implies that an owner, because
> only the mailing list owners and moderators get the moderator
> messages, would be *reading* the mailing list traffic through the
> moderator messages as opposed to *reviewing* the mailing list traffic
> through the moderator messages.  Is that what you meant?
>
> I review the mailing list traffic with the moderator messages (using
> the listhelper scripts) but I _read_ the lists by being subscribed
> normally.  Otherwise replies would get strange and things like that.
>
> If someone is inclined to read them in daily batches (meaning to me
> digest format) then they probably would not want to be seeing the
> moderator messages at all.  They should probably be encouraged more
> strongly to filter them out.  It would be nicer of Mailman if it did
> not send moderator messages to the mailing list owner.

Sorry for being unclear.

I mean that list admins and list moderators receive the "requests for
approval" messages, for each new message. This is something that,
normally, I turn off, because I'd rather moderate the list traffic
using the daily "sum-up" that _admins and moderators_ receive (I
didn't mean the digest that _subscribers_ receive).

Since listhelper rely on this 'admin_immed_notify' parameter being
turn on, list admins need to be careful not to turn it off. We can
suggest that list admins, if they don't want the "requests for
approval" mails, use a filter rule in their MUA instead.