Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] support for repository(ies) contact/descri

From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] support for repository(ies) contact/description
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 10:05:40 +0200

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:

> My main concern is: will this fit all VCSes? Though, maybe we can just
> add a separate joined table if a VCS requires additional fields .
>
> 'contact' is not used by 'bzr' afaics; maybe that field can be just
> ignored by the bzr backend, or maybe the field can be disabled in the
> edit form (so users don't expect it to be used).

I think it can also be used, not for any bzr internals, but just to
provide information. That is, there could be a page (read-only) or
existing one, providing repository description and contact
information.

> The alternate way is to create a specific table for each VCS, but this
> sounds much more difficult to me anyway.

And it likely has performance penalties. For example, if you want to
obtain all the repositories that 'show_in_source_menu', with one table
it can be done at once with a simple select. The other way would mean
as many selects as activated VCS (which is not a lot).

> I'd suggest changing 'is_default' to 'show_in_source_menu'.  This way,
> main repositories would be proeminently displayed in the "Source Code"
> menu, as well as in the project homepage. Other repositories would be
> displayed in a separate "other repositories" page; this would exclude,
> for example, experimental repos and obsolete repos (such as CVS repos
> if you switched to Mercurial, but still wish to keep the old CVS
> around :)).
>
> The bottom line is: I think some project will have several main
> repositories (I do :)).

OK, that makes more sense.

> I think listing all repositories at once is easier to edit.

OK.

Aleix