Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #365733] Helping Improve Savannah

From: Andrew
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #365733] Helping Improve Savannah Volunteer
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 18:11:15 -0500

I removed myself from the Send To list, seeing as I'm on the mailing
list now :-)

On 6/29/08, Bob Proulx <address@hidden> wrote:
> Karl Berry wrote:
>  >     http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/SavaneTasks
>  >     ...
>  >     Working on spam would be great.
>  >
>  > Yes!!!!
>  >
>  > The after-the-fact approach we have now is a big drag, because spam
>  > often gets sent to the project mailing lists as soon as it is posted.
>  >
>  > With spam, it seems to me that making harder captchas is one very useful
>  > thing to do.  That cuts off the spammers from being able to post at all.
>

> I also think it would be useful to be able to clean up the bugs after
>  spam has arrived.  Right now once spam is posted it can never be
>  removed.  It can only be collapsed into a small font tag if five
>  people vote that it is spam.  But it never goes away.  I would like to
>  see it possible to remove it forever from the database.
>

>  Bob

I would hesitate to actually remove it forever from the database, due
to the possibility of it being used accidentally, or purposefully
incorrectly, on a post that actually isn't spam. It's easy enough to
have a "viewable" field in the DB to toggle. This would make it
trivial to not show it, as well as keep it around in case it's needed,
to reverse the action.

If an account gets shut down for spam, then maybe in that case it
would be fine to remove all posts from the DB as well, assuming that
this kind of action would only be able to be performed by moderators.
Perhaps statistics measuring the percentage of an account's
spam-declared posts, once above a certain thresh-hold, would trigger
the account being submitted to a moderator-and-higher viewable queue
for analysis, and further action could take place then.