Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] support for repository(ies) contact/descri

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] support for repository(ies) contact/description
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:06:46 +0200

Hi,

This isn't about branches, but rather about low-level optimization.

I confused git.or.cz and repo.or.cz. A proper example is:
http://repo.or.cz/w/linux-2.6.git?a=forks

In practice this means 2 repositories that share the same blobs
database.

Forest is different. AFAIU this is a way to reference external
secondary repositories from a main repository.

In this case, "forks" is a way to create a branch in a separate
repository while still using the main repository's files instead of
copying them. The pros is that the branch is clearly separate (not an
official branch) and can get different filesystem-level permissions.

Hopefully this is clearer now :)