Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] my intro

From: hiren
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] my intro
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 22:44:54 +0200

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 12:03 -0800, Leo Jackson wrote:

>  The licensecheck perl script works by comparing a short text a key
> text against the files etc. It as far as the one I have doesn't check
> against gplv3 and a few others. I am finishing a few minor text keys
> and some other quick items...Please I can see from some old mails that
> there maybe other options wanted...If so please e-mail me or send in
> mailing I can add later but would like to add now if possible.
>
> I have been talking to only Karl about it so far and now just a few
> days ago to offer help Hiren. I will have this script on chkpkglic,
> and I am still making a full program written in c on same chkpkglic.

(not mailed to list as there's an attachment)

I think the script will be cool, I'm however leaning to a more complete
tool with regards to the items on the "get your project approved
quickly" page.

ultimately something that you can give a tarball, it will extract and
perform things like:

-look for license file and determine license
-check each file for required headers as need by gnu
-report conflicting licenses if there are per file
etc

(I'm still going through the items to try understand what we need
exactly)

as such, I've started a small script (which I'd like to become a
framework) that for now, only takes a tarball and extracts it to a temp
directory, next will come functions for the items we need to check for.

I'd eventually like some pieces dynamic, having a directory with
licenses for example, where the program reads licenses from and compares
files against, so that adding a new licenses check simply means dropping
the license into the directory.

attached is the very simple and beginning start, it isn't functional,
hasn't been tested, but I will work on if you guys approve of the ideas
and design described here?

I realize I'm violating policy by naming the script with "gnu", which
should only be for gnu approved projects, I'll rename the script while
it isn't official.