Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: autoredirect setup help

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: autoredirect setup help
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 19:27:47 -0600

Hi Sylvain,

    I've configured mirmon and we now this ready:
    http://download.savannah.gnu.org/mirmon/

Very nice!  Thanks for doing all the work.  I'm surprised there are only
two dead mirrors.  I'll write to those admins.

    What kind of official URL should we use for it?

I'm tempted to suggest http://ftpmirror.nongnu.org, by analogy with the
http://ftpmirror.gnu.org which we have for the mirrors of ftp.gnu.org.
(I know a few GNU packages use their download area, but I'm not sure
if those are getting mirrored, and in any case it's nothing we're
especially recommending.)

Other names that come to mind seem awfully long, e.g.,
downloadmirror.savannah.gnu.org.  Other ideas?

    I think we could use it by default for the Savannah projects pages.

My experience with the multiplexing (for TeX) is that it is useful to
use the generic multiplexing url for downloading by default, but it's
also important to point to the mirmon page so people can see the
choices and their status, and the mirror list page for those who can use
rsync.

Thanks,
Karl