Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Revisiting hosted wiki software

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Revisiting hosted wiki software
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 23:42:12 +0100

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 10:17:54PM +0000, Noah Slater wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 08:35:18PM +0100, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> > I'm aware of that, but I'm looking for more constructive suggestions.
>
> I was only offering a pointer, the tone of your comment puzzles me.

I'm demanding :p

> > And the unspammed mediawiki that I see usually opted for the last
> > solution.. Concretely I don't feel like there's something ready for
> > websites with an large loosely-knit userbase here. I can be wrong,
> > that's where the constructive suggestion comes.
>
> This seems like a very strange thing to conclude.
>
> The World's largest MediaWiki installation, Wikipedia, doesn't seem to have an
> overwhelming problem with spam,

They have an active and large user base to get rid of it.

A decent number of projects at Savannah are either on hiatus or dead,
those would be particularly vulnerable.

> and neither does the FSF run wiki. Similarly,
> MoinMoin is in widespread use at the ASF and there are no spam problems that I
> am aware of.

Here's a MoinMoin I installed before it was closed, for example:
http://impulsion.bm62.org/moin.cgi/RecentChanges

I didn't happen straight away, like after 6 months or more.

> Perhaps we can ask the FSF admins what anti-spam techniques they are using?

Sure.

Btw, Karl, could you give a brief estimate of the workload currently
necessary to moderate the GNU lists? I remembered you managed to
recruit a team of vulunteers, but I don't know how many list are
checked and how many weekly hours this represents :) This kind of
behind-the-scene work is easily forgotten.