Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] gphpedit registration issues

From: Nicodemo Alvaro
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] gphpedit registration issues
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:55:58 -0500

On Sun, 2009-01-18 at 09:17 +0100, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> If he includes code, it needs valid notices, whether written by him or
> not.  Otherwise, he needs to avoid including that code at Savannah,
> which is what people normally do with external dependencies.

I registered the project because Anoop fixed most of the issues and
the rest of the minor issues he told me he would fix in a private
e-mail.

He is still interested in providing the source code for the project
files. If those project files are lacking a copyright notice, is it
not possible to place a "Public domain" notice in them, unless he were
to improve it and place his own notice?

The gtkscintilla (moleskine) project is abandoned so it may be more
convenient for him incase the original project is lost.

The scintilla folder is a little bit more complex. Would the below
license be acceptable? Or would he be required to replace it with the
modified BSD license that they are using?

// Copyright 1998-2001 by Neil Hodgson <address@hidden>
// The License.txt file describes the conditions under which this
software may be distributed.

I found that this copyright notice was not even close:

// Copyright for Scintilla: 1998-2001 by Neil Hodgson <address@hidden>

There is a file with just a copyright. Anoop claims to have contacted
this one about this and claims that Patrizio says that it is GPL
licensed. Neil claims that he checks to make sure that the copyright
owner gives permission. Permission for what to me is unclear. I tried
to explain this but Anoop is not convinced.

Copyright 2003 by Patrizio Bekerle (address@hidden)

I think if the best solution is to have him include the gtkscintilla
code if he places the public domain license in the lacking files and
remove the scinitilla folder. My reasoning is a file without a
copyright is forfeit and one with copyright shouldn't be messed with.

--
Nicodemo Alvaro