Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] registration aviation data - long lines of

From: Sebastian Gerhardt
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] registration aviation data - long lines of numbers
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 18:11:36 +0200

Hi Nico,

I stumbled across that as well.

The "10 line rule" is, I strongly assume, just a rule of thumb to give
maintainers and admins a vague idea. So it is clear that the maintainer
can't cutting corners by leaving out the line breaks in a big file ;)

However we should ask the author what exactly is the purpose of these
"packed" files. To me it seems that there is a considerable amount of
compiled data in these files.

So my question to the author, beside copyright, would be:
What is the purpose of this and will the user be able to easily unpack
this data so that (s)he can modify it? I have the impression that some
files are compiled code and some files are media content, packed as huge
data arrays into trivial code. If it is, for example, textures for the
game objects, I think it should be licensed like any other image file
would.

In case the user isn't able to unpack the arrays to the original form,
we should insist on uploading the original files. Just like we insist on
source code instead of binary files.

Sebastian