Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] "or any later" clause mandatory?

From: Nicodemo Alvaro
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] "or any later" clause mandatory?
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:11:08 +0100

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:40:34 +0100
Sylvain Beucler <address@hidden> wrote:
> The checkboxes are intended to be a _fast_ thing to read, which people
> cannot miss. If you make a checkbox "I agree with the requirements",
> pointing to a lenghty, canonical, all-corner-cases-covered, official
> requirements text, then you can expect that 98% people won't read it
> and will miss the essential points, a.k.a. the current checkboxes.

I agree that many people do not read long, boring documents, but isn't
it still a massive problem that applicants are not complying with the
checklist?

> What exactly is missing from
> http://savannah.gnu.org/register/requirements.php ?
> I'd start fixing this page, if need be.

What I am hoping for is something that the reviewer can more easily
refer to. In order to fix it in my strategy, that page needs to be
precise, restructured, and simplified. So the document I sent was
intended to help fix it.

> Also, I don't think that stuff like "you need to test your
> applications with a Free Java Suite" should be in the official
> requirements. They are infered from "No dependencies on non-free
> software".  Where do you see this belong?

I read it from the HowToGetYourProjectAppprovedQuickly document. Karl
is worried about losing the information on the wiki, so it seemed like
one of the things to include.