Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git features on Savannah

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git features on Savannah
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:13:53 -0400

On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 21:16 +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
> And changing this would require very significant discussion and effort
> from the FSF sysadmins, since they are the only ones with the power to
> actually make changes on the www.gnu.org server.  I don't see that
> happening any time in the foreseeable future, so you just have to put up
> with CVS.  Sorry.

OK, not a huge problem.  I'm assuming that this means I should NOT
uncheck the CVS component from my Savannah admin page, even if I enable
a different source control tool?

>     time I update the manual so that chapter names change, etc. the
>
> Chapter names, ok, but that wouldn't change html_node files.  It is not
> a good thing to change node names, so consider the CVS pain additional
> reason not to :).

Mm.  Well, some terminology changed in the manual, so the node names
(that used the old terms) needed to change.

Just curious, but why is it bad to change node names?  Is it because
people save bookmarks to them or something?

If I keep this in mind maybe I can pick "smarter" node names that are
less fragile.

>     Also, in CVS I had my CVSROOT/loginfo trigger set up to send email on
>     checkin to a mailing list; is this possible with git on Savannah?
>
> I don't know, and I'm not seeing info at
> http://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/UsingGit.  Sylvain, anyone?

Yeah, I read that :-).

This (email notifications) is something I'd really like to have.