[Savannah-hackers-public] Re: #savannah moving to OFTC?

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: #savannah moving to OFTC?
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 12:12:00 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 09:09:09PM -0400, Matt Lee wrote:
> I heard that there is a plan to move #savannah to OFTC, and away from
> the official GNU IRC server.
>
> Is this true, and if so, why?
>
> One benefit FSF members get is a Freenode cloak, and moving an official
> GNU project channel over to OFTC will confuse users, especially as we
> promote irc.gnu.org as the place to connect to our channels.
>
> I beg you to reconsider. If there is a problem with freenode, I can get
> it resolved.

Some time ago we discussed that accessing FreeNode when you're part of
the Tor privacy network (either as a relay or as a user) is incredibly
inconvenient.  See http://www.beuc.net/tor/

RMS agreed with FreeNode's reason of "preventing abuses", and
recommended I personaly use Fencepost, which not everybody has access
to.  So there was no action from GNU as a whole.

My approaches with FreeNode (including with your contact) were unable
to help me debug the access issue I had, and could not explain the
reason of such an inconvenient setup.  In addition, given that the
only contact point is their IRC channel, this makes any conversation
on policy quite hard to achieve.

Consequently we moved (already, it's not a plan) to a network that
does not have such strict policies for us and our users.