Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [task #10565] Submission of Insidious

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [task #10565] Submission of Insidious Big Brother Database
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:03:40 GMT

Hi Roland,

    - I could put now a Makefile in the repository. Yet later on this
      will be replaced by the files required by autoconf. I know that
      old CVS can give you a hard time if you try to modify the
      structure of the repository...

Removing a single file is no real problem.  In my experience,
  cvs rm -f Makefile && cvs commit
will suffice when you are ready to switch to autoconf.

(What's more of a drag is moving directories around, which basically
requires remove + add.  Does work, though.)

    - The elisp files of BBDB can be compiled fairly easily from within
      Emacs. So right now I could only put these elisp files into the
      repository, but no Makefile at all.

If you want to go that way, that's fine.

    This would be version 3. -- Does this make a difference if the
    licensing information for BBDB says
      ...GNU General Public License as published by the Free
      Software Foundation, either version 2 of the License, or (at
      your option) any later version.

Legally, your entire work is being "licensed as a whole" under GPLv3, so
it suffices to put the GPLv3 text into the repository.  If you want to
include the GPLv2 text too as well, that is fine too.  (I recommend the
file names COPYING and COPYINGv2 for this.)

Hope this helps,
Karl