Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] new mirror redirection

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] new mirror redirection
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 20:49:17 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 07:21:43PM +0100, Brian Gough wrote:
> At Thu, 26 Aug 2010 18:42:38 +0200,
> Sylvain Beucler wrote:
> > I noticed that redirection still happens when you don't add the
> > trailing '/' - not sure if we should consider this a bug or a feature.
>
> It's a small bug, but for simplicity I decided to match on a trailing
> slash for directories.  There is a way to test for a directory in the
> filesystem with mod_rewrite but it's more complicated.
>
> > This is worth a news item - are you OK with being cited on the
> > Savannah frontpage? :)
>
> Yes.
>
> I noticed a few things on dl.sv.gnu.org when I was working on it:
>
> - the apache log files aren't being rotated and are HUGE
>   (e.g. /var/log/apache2/bzr/access.log is 6.2GB).
>
>   Do you want me to fix that?  It just looks like
>   /etc/logrotate.d/apache2 doesn't take into account the
>   subdirectories.

Hmm, looking at /etc/logrotate.d/, the config was overwritten during
the last Debian upgrade, and apparently I forgot to fix it :/

I just put the rotation back, you don't need to do it.

> - /var/www/download/robots.txt is commented out so robots are
>   downloading everything -- using quite a lot of resources.  Is there
>   a reason to leave the site open?

We can handle it (especially if it's mirrored), and it seems to me
that blocking robots would be detrimental to search results ranking
(e.g. like http://lists.gnu.org/robots.txt).