Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [task #9015] Support Request for GAP p

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [task #9015] Support Request for GAP project: Split into GNU and non-GNU components.
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 00:27:04 GMT

Hi Riccardo (and all),

    > Are there any "requirements" that need to be additionally met when moving
    > from nongnu to gnu?

Yes.  (In the end, rms has to approve it.)  Please see
http://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html for a high level overview and a
short questionnaire which is the best way to get things started.  If you
have any problems or questions, just let me (or address@hidden)
know.

    > "review" done by savannah team perhaps?

Becoming an official GNU package is reviewed by a different set of
people (first by me and Ludo Courtes, and ultimately by rms).

    alex> non-GNU projects, this is done as a convenience for developers.

I think of it as part of our philosophy, not just as a convenience.  The
FSF and GNU want to foster free software development in general, even if
the packages involved don't want to be (or cannot be) included
technically in the GNU operating system, for whatever reason.

Thanks,
karl