Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [gnu.org #670138] colonialone.fsf.org

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Re: [gnu.org #670138] colonialone.fsf.org Dom0 upgrade
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:18:28 +0100

Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 00:22 +0100, Jim Meyering wrote:
>
>>[...]
>>
>> Wrong comparison.
>> Compare using fwknop-and-alt-ssh-port to agent-fwd-through-fencepost.
>> The former is more secure.
>
> Ok, I'd like to propose an entirely different solution: we already

Why?
Isn't IP restrictions + (fwknop-and-alt-ssh-port|fencepost-for-a-few)
simple and effective enough?

> employ openvpn to access the FSF internal lan from remote clients. We
> could setup a separate VPN for the Savannah machines.

If I had to bet the house on immunity to exploit of a tool, I'd prefer
ssh over openvpn, though not by much.  ssh is used/audited a lot more.
fwknop is tiny and doesn't add a whole new protocol and networking.

One reason for IP restrictions is to limit vulnerability if a 0-day
exploit appears.  How would using openvpn mitigate that?
Actually, adding openvpn probably more than doubles what they
call the attack surface.

> The SSL certificate can be password protected and would be accessed only
> from the openvpn daemon, so it doesn't have to be readable by the user
> account (it doesn't even need to be on the same machine).
>
> It seems to be both more secure and more convenient than fwknop,
> especially when we have to deal with multiple machines. It's also not to
> hard to setup.
>

> --- BEGIN off topic ---
>
>> The TCO of SELinux for the vast majority (since F14, maybe since F13)
>> has been zero, because most things "just work."
>
> This is true only for plain desktops and trivial servers that don't
> require any major change to the default configuration. Every time I did
> something serious, eventually I was forced to either turn off SElinux or
> start programming in obscure-language-for-custom-policy-definition.

I think you've just agreed.
The vast majority of users do nothing that requires them
even to know about the existence of SELinux, much less its "policy".

[ You know, we've had this conversation before.  Have you
  tried again in the last year or so (F13 or F14)?  If there's
  a tool that gives you particular pain wrt SELinux, look again...
  maybe someone else has already written policy for it by now.  ]