Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Copyright+License Headers in concatenated

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Copyright+License Headers in concatenated HTML files
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 21:04:38 GMT

    CC-BY-NC is OK for docs

Michael, I don't believe that is correct, for the reason you point out:
NC is "no commercial", which is nonfree, hence must not be allowed on
savannah under any circumstances.

As a separate point, "real" documentation (a manual) is supposed to be
released under the FDL (or compatible permissive licenses).  A few html
files probably don't qualify, though.

    It's worth noting that the CC-BY-* licenses are GPL incompatible

Although I don't believe it's ever been officially determined, I
personally believe CC-BY itself is compatible with the GPL, because it
only requires attribution, that is, is a permissive license.  You were
probably knowingly excluding that with "BY-*" instead of "BY*" :), but
just for putative clarity :).

It's the "SA" (sharealike) versions which are copylefts and hence
incompatible with the GPL (another copyleft).

And, as discussed, the "NC" (and "ND") versions are nonfree and
shouldn't be used in savannah-hosted projects.

Aside from all of the above, I agree with the point about it always
being better to include a license statement in the source files, for
clarity.

karl