Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git accumulations on vcs

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git accumulations on vcs
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 16:18:46 -0700

James Cloos wrote:
> KB> exec timeout 120m /usr/lib/git-core/git-daemon "$@"
> Anyway, from git/daemon.c:run_service():
>
>         /*
>          * We'll ignore SIGTERM from now on, we have a
>          * good client.
>          */
>         signal(SIGTERM, SIG_IGN);
>
> so that is why timeout(1) fails.

Good debugging!

> exec timeout --signal=SIGKILL 120m /usr/lib/git-core/git-daemon "$@"
>
> or:
>
> exec timeout --signal=SIGRTMIN --kill-after=240m 120m
> /usr/lib/git-core/git-daemon "$@"

For what it is worth I would vote for the longer timeout.  It is still
within the current day.  The problem isn't processes stuck hanging
around from breakfast or lunch but processes stuck hanging around from
the last New Year's party.  Either will do that.  And if someone is
running a slow download which is still active then it would be a
tragedy to kill them too soon.

Bob