Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git accumulations on vcs

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git accumulations on vcs
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:12:11 -0700

Karl Berry wrote:
> I forgot to mention it, but I increased the timeout to eight hours
> while I was there.

Good.

> Maybe it should be even more, but I'm doubtful that anything that hasn't
> completed in that long will ever finish.  Our repositories aren't that
> big.

Unrelated but related anecdote.  I did a bzr checkout of emacs source
some time ago and it timed out on me before the download completed.  I
had to take some special actions to get it to complete for me.  Some
projects are rather large.

In a perfect world it would be great to have two timers.  One looking
at how long it was I/O idle without making any data movement progress.
That is the stuck case that we would like to kill off.  It is holding
a process slot and is dead.  Detecting idle I/O timer would be an
interesting tool.  Then another timer looking at the overall total
runtime.  That would catch an infinite loop dumping data that will
never finish.  But the world isn't perfect. :-)

Bob