Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #912039] Migrate gnu.org/nongnu.o

From: Karl Berry via RT
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] [gnu.org #912039] Migrate gnu.org/nongnu.org from CVS
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 17:22:34 -0400

John,

    I believe the CVS checkout-by-cron system has been identified as a
    major source of load on Savannah in the past.

I am skeptical.  I have seen no evidence of such.  Or of anything except
overloaded hardware in general.  (It seems impossible to make progress
on this.  The problem continues unabated.  Very frustrating.)

    With git's hook system (and better efficiency), this could help
    address that current problem -- changes would be pushed when they
    are made rather than doing polling.

Gee.  Must you introduce another recipe for inaction :)?

First of all, I see no fundamental reason why git would be more
efficient than cvs in this context.  (As Sylvain just replied.)

Second of all, I would be vehemently opposed to anything that
changes all web repos over to git, *forcing* people to use git.
An option to use git would be one thing.  Forcing it, quite another.
I doubt Sylvain had a forced switch in mind.

Third of all, I cannot envision any changes along these lines happening
any time soon, since it's already been umpteen years since the original
wishlist item, and the sysadmins and savannah volunteers have no more
time than they ever did.  Hacking an update script is only a small part
of the job.

Please, don't wait for this to magically solve the load problem.