Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Hacking on Savane - where to start?

From: Assaf Gordon
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Hacking on Savane - where to start?
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2014 13:51:54 -0400

HelloSylvain,

On 08/06/2014 05:00 PM, address@hidden wrote:
I'm the maintainer of the Savane source code, and I have decided to
merge it with the FusionForge project.

This is an on-going work with a conversion script at:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/savane-cleanup.git/tree/sv2ff/

However, I can't complete this alone, so this project needs more
people from the Savannah community.

Thanks for the pointer.
I'm still haven't succeeded of running even the simplest setup with
"tests/minimal_configs" and "make install",
but I'll experiment some more.
Are there any guides to tutorials how to do it?

If I may ask a heretical question (and I do not mean to start a flame-war, I am
simply a newcomer to the GNU world):
If I understand correctly the natural "evolution" route was/is
 Source Forge => Savane (old) => Savane-Cleanup => Fusion Forge.
Conceptually-wise these are similarly designed platforms (of course with many
technical improvements and new features).

Has there been an attempt to re-evaluate the Savannah hosting offerings?
As in, what features are most important and being used, and what features are more
"historical" because SourceForge had them, but are rarely used? And whether a
"forge" type platform is still suitable or not ?

Thank you,
 - Assaf