Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] extraneous file on my recent Wiki commit

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] extraneous file on my recent Wiki commit
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 12:58:39 -0700

Assaf Gordon wrote:
> Seems like I make a mistake in my last commit to the Savannah wiki
> (svn rev 121),
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-cvs/2014-12/msg00003.html :
>
> I only changed "SavannahServices.mdwn" but somehow
> "HomePageAvailabilityOfPhpAndMysql.mdwn" was also modified and
> committed, with content that I did not write.
> I do not know exactly how this happened, as "svn diff" showed only
> the four lines I changed in "SavannahServices".

Check the name of that file carefully and you will find two files that
are very closely named.  They differ only by case.

  HomePageAvailabilityOfPhpAndMysql.mdwn
  HomepageAvailabilityOfPhpAndMysql.mdwn

The file with the upper case P has been there for some time as a zero
sized file.  The other file with the lower case p has had the content
you just found.

During r11 both files were added.  At r16 Karl removed the redundant
file but strangely it still exists in my old sandbox as a zero sized
file.  Strange.  It should have been deleted.  Some strange svn funny
happening with that file.

> Very likely I misused svn.
> If this needs to be revered, let me know, but I'll wait with further
> commits until I learn how this happened...

Some strange svn odd thing happened here in my sandbox too.  Since the
log shows the file deleted but I still have the file.

I think somehow you copied the lower case p file to the upper case P
file.  Since it was modified it was a candidate for a commit and your
commit accidentally pulled in the file.

I suggest simply removing the file and leaving the other one.

> sorry for the trouble.

It is hardly any trouble.  None worth mentioning.  Thank you for
working on the documentation!

Bob