[Savannah-hackers-public] Problems with initial load of new Git repo

From: David Hill
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Problems with initial load of new Git repo
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 13:30:02 -0700

Dear Savannah Hackers,

I am the 'gnuspeech' project admin.

I am having problems uploading some of the relevant files/folders into a new Git repo for the 'gnuspeech' project, prior to the first official release. Karl Berry suggested I contact you.

Basically, I have a local repo with a top level folder containing 6 second tier folders in it, all populated. Having staged and committed them, I did a push to the savannah web site Git repo for the project, but only some of the folders were populated. The folders are:

1. Builds 8.6 MB Loaded
2. GnuSpeech 35.2 MB Not loaded
3. GnuspeechSA 25.4 MB Loaded
4. monetManual 54.2 MB Not loaded
5. TRAcT 2015-06-30-16-07 16.7 MB Loaded
6. TRAcT-manual 8.6 MB Loaded

with a brief README in the top level folder which I added after the initial push.

The local repo is 171 MB in size. The repo cloned from the savannah site is only 73.9 MB.

The two folders that were not loaded are the two largest and total 89.4 MB. The remainder total ~ 59.3 MB. If the missing ones were added the total would be 148.7 MB.

Although the sums are not exact -- one can imagine forms of compression come into play it looks as though the two largest folders have failed to upload.

A colleague has suggested that the two unpopulated folders are actually submodules (i.e. they are subordinate git repos within the main repo. There are no .gitmodules in my original set of directories and files so I am a little puzzled. I do not have a lot of experience with git (as must be obvious!).

My colleague suggested it would be better to have six different repos in the project, one for each topic folder in the existing folder, rather than one Git repo. This requires your permission and action, I believe, and I am not sure it is necessarily the best approach, but it gets around the issues with submodules, which seem very confusing. It also allows people to clone/update just those bits they are working on without the complications of submodules.

Having said that, I don't understand why four of the folders loaded as expected, but two didn't. The two that loaded (GnuspeechSA and TRAcT manual) are quite similar in form to the two that didn't (GnuSpeech and monetManual).

I was certainly unaware in preparing the upload that I did anything different between the 6 folders, since I simply moved the sub-folders into the main folder from elsewhere (no cloning!). However, the GnuSpeech file-set had certainly been cloned from another colleague's Git repo, but not the monetManual set.

I would be grateful for your comments/advice. I am ready to make our first official release, and this is obviously a hold-up.

The other problem is that I failed to GPG-sign any of the files, but  assume that can be remedied if I can upload all the files, having signed them.

Many thanks.

david
David Hill
Twitter: @t33guy
--------
 The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable. (J.K. Galbraith)
--------