Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Savannah and the present

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Savannah and the present
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 13:34:03 +0100

On 02/05/2016 01:18 PM, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

> It seems that http://notabug.org also accepts non-free programs, for
> example:
>
>   https://notabug.org/nelis/hg-shopp-theme
>
> This has no license information what so ever.  If this is in error or
> not, I don't know.

This should have not happened, according to what I know. I'm putting the
NAB admin in CC, hoping he will give you a satisfying answer.

But a "report" button would be enough in these cases.

>>From what I recall this is not entierly correct, to be able to use
> github you need an account -- that requires non-free javascript.

I don't want to create a GH account so I'll take this as true.

Still, I never promoted using Github but only free servers like Gitlab
and Gogs; I merely said it has some features many people use (and whose
implementation do not affect freedom).

> People who call the GPL "viral", and "restrictive" are already people
> who would be unwilling to use Savannah, since they are already hostile
> to the idea of computer user freedom -- it doesn't matter to them what
> Savannah looks like.

But it gives them some arguments in favor of their labelling of the GNU
Project as elitist and dated ("just look at Savannah").

> The goal of Savannah, and the GNU project isn't to make more GNU
> projects -- it is to provide a free software hosting platform and a
> free operating system.

But outside of GNU, the GPL isn't very common. I think the goal of the
GNU Project should be to take as many project under its umbrella as
possible, because the free software world outside of it is extremely
biased toward permissive licenses and consequently, proprietary software.