Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Svannah's VC is hosed?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Svannah's VC is hosed?
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 11:00:45 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I'm unable to update any of the Savannah repositories I tried.  This
> includes Emacs, Gawk, Groff, and Findutils Git repositories, and
> Texinfo's SVN repository.
>
> Can someone please look into this?

Sorry for the delayed response but in answer, yes, vcs was hosed up.
It was overloaded due to client activity.  Everything was happening at
once and in the immortal words of Scotty, "The engines couldn't take
it."  It was gathering much attention but still took an hour before
things became better.  Basically shut things down and cause clients
(normal clients? attacking clients? impossible to tell) to timeout and
go away and then start things on the server up again.

You can always get current status of FSF resources by using the
fsfstatus out-of-band notification page.

  https://pumprock.net/fsfstatus

Unfortunately the admins are a little vague in the status.  Basically
the problem is that the system was overloaded and running a load of
100+.  This appeared like an attack but frankly it was impossible to
tell if it was an intentional DDoS or an unintentional normal usage
overload.  It is a low performance system to begin with and with the
multiple use it gets overloaded often.  The FSF admins were working
the problem.

Bob