Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] commit mail coming from @vcs.

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] commit mail coming from @vcs.
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 21:29:48 -0600

Hi Karl,

Karl Berry wrote:
> Bob - it seems commit mail has started coming from @vcs.savannah.gnu.org
> in some cases.  Maybe it is user specific.  For example, see message
> below; mail from "dvc" (David Craven), and I also noted "nckx", is @vcs,
> but not others.

Good catch.  I have been poking at it the last day, but hadn't emailed
anything because I am not to conclusion on it yet.  There seems to be
something that was updating the /etc/email-aliases file.  But that
file hasn't been updated since May 7th.  The file contains every
username and a mapping to their logical email address.  This was used
by exim to remap outgoing mail from users into a "forged from" address
with the mapped address.

I don't know what was previously updating that file.

> The first time I see this is in guix-commits is June 20, with another user:
> From kkebreau<at>vcs.savannah.gnu.org Mon Jun 20 09:06:13 2016
>
> I think I've seen it with other commit lists as well, but didn't check
> around.

The timestamp on the file /etc/email-aliases is May 7 23:30.  I assume
that the problem exists with any new accounts after that time.

> Maybe there is nothing to be done, but it somehow doesn't seem right, so
> thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for mentioning it.  Something is definitely not doing what it
was doing before.

And the root cause of the problem is me!  Well...  Not quite.  The
root cause was the hosting move.  On vcs the there is this in
/etc/cron.d/sv file that I commented out.

# remake user list for outgoing mail.
## rwp 2016-05-07 */10 * * * *    root    nice -n 11 sv_aliases --cron && sed
-e '/# Savannah include start/,/# Savannah include end/s/\([^:]\+\): .*/\1:
address@hidden/' /etc/email-addresses -e 's,This is /etc/email-addresses,DO NOT
EDIT - GENERATED FROM email-addresses.,' > /etc/email-addresses_SENDER

What was happening then?  Oh yes.  We got migrated from the old
hosting to the new hosting.  I don't remember why I commented this out
now.  I probably thought I would remember and get back to it.  I am
going to uncomment it and see what problems appear.  Probably will
find it spewing to the root mail and then I will know.

Bob