Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Max connections hit on database

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Max connections hit on database
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 02:01:07 -0700

Assaf Gordon wrote:
> I have verified (with strace,ltrace) that the new cvs binary running
> in 'pserver' mode as user 'nobody' does call "getpwnam(3)" on user
> 'nobody' which triggers an database query due to libnss-mysql.

I would certainly expect that getpwnam(3) would look things up.  I
don't know why it wouldn't stop at /etc/password when it is found
there however.  I don't know why pserver needs to lookup 'nobody'.

> I wonder if there's a way to tell libnss-mysql to skip the query for
> local users if they are in /etc/passwd ?

It seems that it should.  It seems to me that it is a bug that it
does not.  Because it does return the correct answer.  Therefore it
must be ignoring the database lookup since there is no user nobody
listed there.

> Or should we look into modifying the cvs binary (perhaps there's a
> simply runtime option).
>
> I'll look into it.

I don't know why pserver needs to know the information.  If it does
look it up I don't know why libnss-mysql is called because the
getpwnam() by the /etc/nsswitch.conf file config stop once it is found
in /etc/passwd.

  passwd:         compat mysql

Bob