Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git over https

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] git over https
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2017 19:50:58 -0700

Leo Famulari wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > Drat!  This does appear to be a regression.
> >
> > In your opinion is that enough of a regression to warrent reverting
> > (once again) the git service back to the old server?  Of course that
> > means another IP address change thrash for people who have ssh
> > configured to watch such things.  And more delay in getting things
> > moved.  Sigh.
>
> I'm not sure, because I've never set up the "smart" protocol, and thus
> have never been able to compare them from the same server. Perhaps one
> of them is more efficient, but I don't know. The only difference I've
> noticed as a user is the informative output. I think it's a major
> improvement to offer HTTPS, so perhaps the "smart" protocol can be saved
> for later.

I guess we get to avoid that question.  I researched the task and have
been tinkering the configuration together today.  I will copy the
nginx configuration here in case other people need to do the same
thing.  This would work for most people.

This isn't the final configuration though since this uses the package
installed git, which should be fine but doesn't support shallow clones
with --depth 1 yet as of the OS Trisquel 7 release with git 1.9.1.
Therefore we are using git from a Debian Jessie Stable chroot with git
2.1.4.  The reason to use the chroot is to get a stable release with a
community supported security release stream.  Therefore I need to
point it to the custom version from the chroot.  Then everything
should be working.

Bob

        location = /git { return 302 $request_uri/; }
        location /git/ {
                location ~ /git(/.*) {
                        gzip off;
                        include fastcgi_params;
                        fastcgi_pass unix:/var/run/fcgiwrap.socket;
                        fastcgi_param SCRIPT_FILENAME
/usr/lib/git-core/git-http-backend;
                        fastcgi_param PATH_INFO $1;
                        fastcgi_param GIT_HTTP_EXPORT_ALL true;
                        fastcgi_param GIT_PROJECT_ROOT /srv/git;
                        client_max_body_size 0;
                }
        }