[Savannah-hackers-public] download access for uploading files broken

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] download access for uploading files broken
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 18:05:30 -0700

Joël Krähemann reported today to savannah-users that sftp upload was
not working.  Of course this was disabled Nov-2016 due to security
concerns.  I stated that scp and rsync were supported and recommended
using rsync.

Unfortunately I didn't test it before sending out that message.
Seeing Matt Wette's message with a similar problem led me to test it.
I found it not working.  But I am not sure why.

  $ rsync -avv testfile address@hidden:/releases/administration/
  opening connection using: ssh -l rwp download.savannah.gnu.org rsync --server
-vvlogDtpre.iLsfxC . /releases/administration/  (9 args)
  sending incremental file list
  ...hangs for a long time...

  $ scp testfile address@hidden:/releases/administration/
  scp: /releases/administration//testfile: Permission denied

However this is the same on the old system.  So really it is no change
between the old and the new.

  $ scp testfile address@hidden:/releases/administration/
  Permission denied (publickey).
  lost connection

  $ rsync -avv testfile address@hidden:/releases/administration/
  opening connection using: ssh -l rwp olddownload.savannah.gnu.org rsync
--server -vvlogDtpre.iLsfxC . /releases/administration/  (9 args)
  Permission denied (publickey).
  rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
  rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(235) [sender=3.1.2]

But I am so far defeated as to figuring out why it is blocking this
access on either system.  I am going to acknowledge the report for
feedback and then have to pause for a moment in the debuggin.

Bob