Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Oddities links GNU identifiers on Savannah

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Oddities links GNU identifiers on Savannah
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 12:32:35 -0700

Assaf Gordon wrote:
> Thanks for checking and reporting.

Yes.

> address@hidden wrote:
> > Checked every GNU identifier I know (about 500) on all repos download
> > and project page and found some oddities.
> >
> > I found on Savannah these oddities:
> >
> > plotutils    https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/plotutils/     Error:
> > permission denied
> > clisp           https://web.cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/clisp/   Error:
> > permission denied
>
> Not sure about these two.

The first one for plotutils is available for logged in members.
Therefore the project is probably somehow set to private to members
only in some way.  Defintely not something I understand either.
Something odd about it.

The second one about clisp had mangled file system permissions.
Someone manually did something at one time in the past that does not
make sense now to have been done.  Probably a mistake.  Fixed now.

> > binutils    https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/binutils/      This
> > project is related to www.gnu.org webmastering. Developers are gnu
> > webmasters. It's part of the GNU Project.
> > emacs-muse    https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs-muse/    This
> > project is related to www.gnu.org webmastering. Developers are gnu
> > webmasters. It's part of the GNU Project.
> > gdb            https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gdb/           This
> > project is related to www.gnu.org webmastering. Developers are gnu
> > webmasters. It's part of the GNU Project.
> > gnufm            https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnufm/         This
> > project is related to www.gnu.org webmastering. Developers are gnu
> > webmasters. It's part of the GNU Project.
> > gnupg            https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnupg/         This
> > project is related to www.gnu.org webmastering. Developers are gnu
> > webmasters. It's part of the GNU Project.
> > libgcrypt    https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/libgcrypt/     This
> > project is related to www.gnu.org webmastering. Developers are gnu
> > webmasters. It's part of the GNU Project.
>
> The messages are slightly confusing, but the gist is:

I think the comment was about the first line "This project is related
to www.gnu.org webmastering. Developers are gnu webmasters. It's part
of the GNU Project."  That is due to those projects having a
group type set to www.gnu.org as seen:

  Group Type: www.gnu.org portions

And therefore that text from the group is added.  But that seems to be
in error.  I think for most of those projects listed above the www
group is incorrect.  Most projects should be either Official GNU
Software or non-GNU software but some are just web only projects hence
that selection.

This is an admin only control for managing projects which is normally
set when the project is approved.  I reviewed and updated all of the
above ones.  That has removed the "related to www.gnu.org
webmastering" text from those pages.

> > bazaar             https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/bazaar/    This
> > project is not part of the GNU Project.
> > checker             https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/checker/    This
> > project is not part of the GNU Project.
> > giptables     https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/giptables/    This
> > project is not part of the GNU Project.
> > webbase             https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/webbase/    This
> > project is not part of the GNU Project.

Those are due to them being non-GNU software hosted there.

  Group Type: non-GNU software and documentation

I believe that is appropriate for all of those listed above.  If any
of those have changed state from non-GNU to something else then please
correct me so that their listing can be updated.

Bob