[Savannah-hackers-public] Remove resume feature to prevent abuse?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] Remove resume feature to prevent abuse?
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2019 15:45:03 -0700

Ineiev and the other Savannah Hackers,

The resume feature is meant as a way for users to introduce themselves
to the community.  They can say a few words about themselves.  Give
others the sense of what their skills.  It was not meant as a way for
accounts to sneak in advertising to proprietary software or products.
It wasn't meant as a way to endorse political campaigns that are
unrelated to GNU's mission of Free Software.

We don't have the human resources to really police these postings
after the fact.  Instead we find out about them after they have become
problems.  Then we must take down problem cases.  It's an endless
wack-a-mole problem.  And trying to make the feature moderated across
so many users would be impossible.

Thank you Ineiev for working diligently on this problem.

However I do not think that the resume feature is particularly
useful.  Is it?  Is there a case for the resume feature being a
standout useful feature?

I propose that we decommission the resume feature from the Savannah
web UI.  This would eliminate the problem.  It would reduce our
exposure to content later found inappropriate.  It would reduce the
resource drain, on Ineiev at the least, since he is the only one who
has been trying to deal with the spam there.

Thoughts?

Bob