Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Remove resume feature to prevent abuse?

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Remove resume feature to prevent abuse?
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 12:01:04 -0500

On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 02:08:54PM -0500, John Sullivan wrote:

> The way I've seen other services deal with this is:
>
> * Set a policy about what constitutes inactivity (for example, no log in
>   for 3 years)
>
> * Send an email to accounts on the wrong side of that line saying they
>   will be deleted in N days unless they log in.
>
> * Send a reminder email shortly before the deletion date to those who
>   still meet the criterion
>
> * Delete accounts on the date
>
> * Send confirmation email that account was deleted
>
> Is it worth the effort given current available maintainer resources? Not
> sure. It's probably worth the effort to define the policy (accounts may
> be deleted if inactive for N years, or whatever) and put that publicly
> on the site. Gives more flexibility for quicker action later.

I don't think we really want to remove old accounts inactive
for any long period, they are few. what we want is removing new
accounts that aren't used for some period, and the period should be
weeks rather than years: most spam accounts were created within last
5 years, and the number of accounts per month increases: we had
5k accounts in 2016, 8k in 2017 and 18k in 2018.