Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] htaccess for website ?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] htaccess for website ?
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 14:30:21 -0700

Hello Patrik,

Patrik Dufresne wrote:
> After mush effort, I'm finally, admin of rdiff-backup project with Eric
> Zolf. I'm looking for various way to slowly redirect the traffic from
> savannah website to our new website. I'm wondering what are the tool
> available for me.
>
> The easier way would be to setup a redirect for each pages. Is it possible
> for me to configure an htaccess file in my website project ?

As far as I know the answer is no.  There is only the ability to
upload html pages.  There is no ability to insert configuration using
a local .htacess file.

Note that Savannah is simply the version control host for the files.
All of the web page action is on the FSF web servers which checkout
the pages.  There is a separate WWW team.  At least two of that team
read this mailing list though and will hopefully comment if I say
anything incorrect. :-)

[[Aside: Generally use of .htaccess files is a really bad idea because
it really kills performance due to the need for Apache to dynamically
stat(2) up and down the directory tree for every page access looking
for local .htaccess files and then dynamically merge in the
configuration.  Also IMNHO the use of .htaccess locks the site into
using Apache and there are many reasons a site may want to use less
memory intensive and faster alternative servers.]]

Also there is the problem that Github runs non-free software.  The GNU
Project and the FSF cannot be endorsing non-free software.  Therefore
I think any http redirect from FSF resources to a non-free site is
just not possible.

Bob