[Savannah-hackers-public] [task #16101] Python warnings on push and grof

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] [task #16101] Python warnings on push and groff-commit list not getting mails
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 19:30:05 -0500 (EST)

             Assigned to:                    None => rwp

Follow-up Comment #2:

Thanks for the problem report.  Regardless of the bug tracker confusion.  I
think if we were to try to change it that it would only close this one and
open another one in the other tracker.

When you started noticing the problem was when the server handling the git
service was switched from the old server to the new one.  It's now running on
a fully updated Trisquel 9 LTS system.  This resolves other problems such as
the SHA1 obsolescence in newer OpenSSH releases.

But the new server has a newer version of Python.  That's the problem seen
here.

root@vcs2:~# file /net/vcs/git/groff.git/hooks/git_multimail.pyc
/net/vcs/git/groff.git/hooks/git_multimail.pyc: python 2.6 byte-compiled

root@vcs2:~# ll /net/vcs/git/groff.git/hooks/git_multimail.pyc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  79898 Jan 29  2014
/net/vcs/git/groff.git/hooks/git_multimail.pyc

I am not really a python person so it is a mystery to me why that file was
byte-compiled.  It sits in a hooks directory that has no write permissions
from anyone other than root.  And the file was owned by root.  Therefore
someone intentionally byte compiled that file.  Have no idea why.  As it is
definitely undesirable in such a situation.

I renamed it out of the way.  Won't Python work okay without having that file
byte-compiled?  Because then it won't depend upon the specific version of
Python that happens to be installed.  And certainly there will continue to be
upgrades in the future.

In addition to the above file I found the following files too.  I similarly
moved them all out of the way as well.  Because I assume that each of them
would have the same problem.

root@vcs2:/net/vcs/git# find . -name '*.pyc' -ls
-rw-r--r--   1 ksterker adonthell    90447 Jun 22  2017
./adonthell/adonthell-wastesedge.git/hooks/git_multimail.pyc
-rw-r--r--   1 karl     automake    140163 Jan  6  2020
./automake.git/hooks/git_multimail.pyc
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root         85815 Apr  6  2019
./emacs/elpa.git/hooks/git_multimail.pyc

Thanks again for reporting this problem.  It wasn't something I had known
about or even thought about.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?16101>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/