Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Sending email via fencepost fails

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Sending email via fencepost fails
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2022 17:10:45 -0600

Hello Eli,

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Since about half an hour ago, I cannot send email via fencepost port
> 587: I get "connection refused".
> Logging into fencepost via SSH does work.
>
> What is the problem with the SMTP service on fencepost?  Can this be
> fixed, please?
>
> P.S. And if this is due to some maintenance, why don't I see anything
> on the https://hostux.social/@fsfstatus page?

I know you CC:'d sysadmin and that is the right place to ask about
fencepost problems.  But regarding the TO: to this group none of the
Savannah Hackers have any access to fencepost.  As far as the Savannah
group goes we can only suffer along with you and comiserate along with
you concerning any fencepost issue.

fencepost users to discuss all things fencepost.  However it has been
converted to be a notification of aliases changes list almost
exclusively.  I haven't seen any other posting there in the last year.
At least not since April.  I don't know if anyone actively reads that
mailing list anymore.

Your email to sysadmin will create an RT ticket.  They always have a
couple of hundred RT tickets in their queue though.  It might take
some time for them to process down to that ticket.

Honestly on fencepost something probably happened and then got fixed
comletely asynchronously to the problem reports about it.  I don't see
any chatter on the IRC channels about fencepost but as a general
comment I often see exim get snarled up because of some problem with
spamassassin or other getting broken by a spam message and then a
restart is needed to clear the problem.  AFAICT all of that noticing
and restarting is fully manual.  I expect that or something like it is
what happened on fencepost.

Bob