Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] small suggestion, list descriptions

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] small suggestion, list descriptions
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2022 16:45:15 -0600

Hi Ian,

    On that page, add a description of what savannah-users is for and what
    savannah-help-public is for.

Good question. In my mind, savannah-users is more for discussion "among"
users and savannah-help-public is more for sending queries "to" the
savannah maintainers. But in practice, as far as I can see, this amounts
to a distinction without a difference.  (Not helped by the
savannah-help-public and savannah-hackers being the same thing.)

We also seem to use savannah-users for occasional status reports and
less-permanent announcements (like that upgrade snag), instead of
savannah-announce.

I changed the descriptions (overwriting Bob's valiant effort :) to:

    savannah-hackers   For occasional queries and reports to the Savannah
    maintainers. Now referred to as savannah-help-public ...

    savannah-users   Discussions among Savannah users, informal
    announcements and status reports.

though I'm not sure it's really an improvement :(. -k