Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Delays in mail delivery by gnu.org mailing

From: Ian Kelling
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 04:06:30 -0400

Ian Kelling <iank@fsf.org> writes:

>> The monitoring I had setup was
>> looking at the time it took to send to the archive. It seems that was
>> not a good measure, this email went to the archive quickly, but 1.5
>> hours to go to recipients.
>
> I adjusted the monitoring to look at when mailman delivered the first
> message to exim for an external delivery. I noticed delayed messages
> pretty quickly, the longest being 40 minutes this evening. So, now I'm
> working on eliminating the delays. I'll post most details of how that is
> going in the next few days. My first idea is to try making exim receive
> faster from mailman by avoiding dns lookups during the smtp session with
> mailman.

I've made a bunch of configuration changes. Mainly to scale out exim and
mailman into more processes which removes potential bottlenecks, plus
giving the machine more virtual cpus. I'm not sure if this will solve it
or if the problem lies somewhere I haven't yet found. I'll wait and
watch the monitoring.