[Savannah-hackers] Re: exim question

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: exim question
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 21:52:23 +0100 (CET)

Joel N. Weber II writes:
 >     My concern was that mail sent *locally to subversions* to a user was
 >    properly redirected (to the mail address registered in Savannah). Now
 >    that the Savannah backend scripts update the /etc/aliases file daily,
 >    this works well.
 >
 > I'm skeptical that it actually works well.  If someone replies to an
 > arbitrary message that gets sent out from savannah, does the message
 > get to the right place?

 No it does not. No mail sent by Savannah is supposed to generate a
reply.  There are no mail transactions *to* savannah, only *from*
savannah. When a reply is necessary (first login for instance) a URL
is sent in the mail.

 > I think this would be a very good approach.  (Make sure you set both
 > the envelope from: and the body from:)
 >
 > Alternatively, you could tell fencepost that it doesn't handle mail
 > for savannah.gnu.org (by adjusting fp:/etc/local_mail_domains),
 > repoint the MX record for savannah.gnu.org to savannah, and make sure
 > that savannah is listening for SMTP connections and forwarding mail
 > around appropriately.
 >
 > I think I favor the former solution, but either strikes me as an
 > improvement over the status quo.

 True. I also better like the former one. Having one more machine listening
to SMTP is a source or work, I think. I'll look into that when I come back.

   Cheers,