[Savannah-hackers] Status of savannah

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Status of savannah
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 10:16:00 +0100 (CET)

Richard Stallman writes:
 > Can you tell me the status of savannah?  What things work, what things
 > don't?  Can you show me your task list?

 Functionalities:

 CVS for program sources works and is complete
 CVS for www.gnu.org mostly works and requires some work on the
     synchronization process (when a commit is done, the www.gnu.org
     is updated immediately but is counter efficient in some cases and
     may fail in rare cases, this is my #1 priority).
 Mailman binding to Savannah is worked on by Guillaume Morin (address@hidden)
 GNATS binding to Savannah is worked on by Mark H. Weaver (address@hidden)
 FTP space (ftp.gnu.org/software/package) binding to Savannah is my next task

 Documentation:

 The documentation on www.gnu.org explaining how to ask/create a CVS
 repository for packages sources and how to edit the www.gnu.org web
 were updated to point to Savannah.

 The Savannah implementation and system administration is documented.

 System administration:

 The crontabs, backups, logrotate, boot scripts related to Savannah are
 mostly done, not much work left and I take care of this.

 Usage:

 All GNU packages that were using subversions as a CVS repository are now
 using Savannah.
 All webmasters are now using Savannah and seem happy with it. Leonard Tower
 is the exception and continue to edit the web on gnudist but this is not
 a problem.
 There currently are 86 projects on Savannah, most of them are GNU packages
 projects, some of them (~10) are projects dedicated to editing parts of
 the www.gnu.org web.

 Advertisement:

 The Savannah web site was not advertised in any way yet. All projects
were created because using Savannah required less work to satisfy the
request of a given GNU package maintainer or a webmaster.

 Conclusion:

 Savannah is progressing and stabilizing well, people are mostly happy
with it and it significantly reduces the time spend for the tedious
system administration tasks related to CVS.

 One drawback is that people using Savannah tend to assume that it
will solve more problems than it currently do. For instance the
translator team desperatly need tools to synchronize their work and I
guess they are quite disapointed that Savannah does not offer any
specific support for their work.

 The tasks list related to Savannah are available thru the web and updated
on a regular basis. The task list cannot be dumped to a file, which is
unfortunate: this functionality can be added to the task list ;-)

             Cheers,