[Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software

From: loic
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:47:25 +0100 (CET)

Bradley M. Kuhn writes:

 > What about hosting the non-GNU "savannah" on an entirely different
 > machine, perhaps in a different domain name.  That is one of the ideas
 > that was originally proposed.  Loic, do you now see this as infeasible?

 It is feasible. But it also requires a lot more work. Basically it requires
to setup one or two machines with : sourceforge + ftp + www + mailman + gnats
+ cvs and maintain them. We will basically re-produce every single service
that currently exists on gnu.org.

 If we are to chose this solution I think the best thing is to wait for
a package of sourceforge (or another similar product) to become available.
It may never happen, though ;-) Doing this ourselves is a really big
project.

 > Also, I am worried about the strain on the volunteer resources of managing
 > such a site.  Loic, do you think you'll be able to handle the load
 > indefinitely?

 No, of course. But I'm not alone. Hugo & Jeff are dealing with
Savannah/GNATs, Guillaume is dealing with Savannah/Mailman, Jaime
recently arrived and deals with Savannah/webcvs. I'll put a lot more
efforts than I previously did to recruit volunteers and coordinate
them. I guess this will become easier when Savannah becomes more
popular.

 In other words, yes, I'll handle the load as long as it needs to be
and do whatever is necessary to make sure someone is willing and able
to take over before I actual resign to spend the rest of my life on
a desert island.

  Cheers,