[Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Portland Directory Pr

From: smedrano
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] savannah.gnu.org: submission of Portland Directory Project
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 01:55:41 -0400

Sim贸n Medrano <address@hidden> described the package as follows:
License: gpl
Other License:
Package: Portland Directory Project
System name: pdp
Type: 2

Portland Directory Project:

Our PDP (Portland Directory Project) scripts do mantain a list of websites. The
difference with other similar web directories is that ours only admits domain
and subdomain names as website addresses, and checks (via DNS) that those sites
be actually hosted at a given service provider (using an array of IPs or domain
names). It will have two modes of operation (moderated, and unmoderated).
Moderated, will require some users with special privileges to accept or reject
site submissions. While Unmoderated (or Auto-moderated), will put all recently
submited sites into a list and let other users (already accepted) to check
those sites and vote to accept or reject that submission.
It will also allow the users to manually edit the information related to their
sites, and we are planning to add some features such as voting for the best
sites, statistical information, advanced searches by sitename, webmaster,
description, update time, etc.
It will probably share users database with others PHP database driven portals
or website content management scripts.

We are actually working on it, but we *need* CVS.

Other Software Required:
Our Portland Directory Project runs on any PHP4 enabled webserver (preferably
Apache) with a SQL database server (such as MySQL or PostgreSQL).
Does not have any extra requirement.

Other Comments:
We started this project by the idea of creating a web directory of sites on a
free webhosting provider (Portland Communications http://www.portland.co.uk/).
Initially, this project was aimed to be just an extension of the Portland
Portal (http://portal.portland.co.uk/ which is run by volunteers users of the
Portland free webhosting service).
But we decided to make it more extensible, and we didn\'t want to use any
existent PHP libraries or content management scripts (such as PHP-Nuke, or
similar); and amied our PDP software to any free webhosting provider, or
webmaster\'s portals, or any other web community.

So we started coding and we found ourselves with the need of a version
management system. We thought of CVS, but we do not have enough resources to
run our own CVS server. Neither have Portland Communications provide us with
that service.
We went to SourceForge.net, but they rejected our project, saying that PDP does
not differ much from existing ones. :(